Cutting edge technologies to make Grid smarter that render electricity more reliable efficient is the solution to reduce the frequency and duration of power outages, reduce storm impacts, and restore service faster when outages occur. On the consumer side a better self management of energy consumption will be appreciated as data will be available. Modernized grid , including improved security, reduce peak loads, increased integration of renewables and lower operational costs are key points attached to smart grid.
A brief about the facts on smart grid
It is a two way communication technology plus control system and computer processing. Advanced sensors known as phasor management Units (PMUs) allows operators to assess grid stability. A smart meter is a component of smart grid which uses digital technology is the tool that provides information pertaining to outrages .re-route power to outrages. There is also batteries that store excess energy and release the energy is release on to continue the energy afterwards when it is needed to meet the consumer consumption requirement.
Opting for Smart grid for better energy management and much more
- Inaccurate metering will be eliminated as metering data can be accessed remotely and real time charging is also available. Thus electricity suppliers do not need to move to collect data.
- Reliability — by reducing the cost of interruptions and power quality disturbances and reducing the probability and consequences of widespread blackouts
- Economics — by keeping downward prices on electricity prices, reducing the amount paid by consumers as compared to the “business as usual” (BAU) grid, creating new jobs, and stimulating the gross domestic product (GDP).
- Efficiency — by reducing the cost to produce, deliver, and consume electricity
- Environmental — by reducing emissions when compared to BAU by enabling a larger penetration of renewables and improving efficiency of generation, delivery, and consumption
- Security — by reducing the probability and consequences of manmade attacks and natural disasters
- Safety — by reducing injuries and loss of life from grid-related events